5 Great Fat Loss Tips For Summer
Utilize Multi-Joint Exercises
- Multi-joint exercises work large muscle groups which require the most energy and create the largest anabolic response in your body which leads to the greatest amount of calorie expenditure. (long winded sentence?)
- Multi-joint lifts imitate our natural movements by working several muscle groups and in the process create a healthier posture and more proportional frame.
- The body works better in movements along a kinetic chain; that is, large portions of the body assist other portions of the body in completing a complex movement. Dont limit yourself to isolated movements (like a bicep curl) if you want to burn fat.
- Multi-joint exercises increase your metabolic rate and stimulate production of more fat burning hormones such as growth hormones and testosterone.
- Power Cleans
Use Circuit Training And Short Rest Intervals
- Circuit training creates maximal growth hormone responses which is the most efficient way to burn fat.
- It is optimal for raising your metabolism which will have fat burning effects during your workout and up to 48 hours after your workout.
- Short rest intervals ensure your heart rate stays elevated for the entirety of the workout which will create the largest amounts of caloric expenditure.
- Supersets and tri-sets
- Crossfit workouts
- Interval training
Eat High Protein, Low Carb, Low Glycemic, And Unprocessed Food
- Foods that fall under these guidelines will ensure you are conserving/building muscle and lean body mass while burning fat.
- Foods with a low glycemic index will allow you to control your blood sugar and maintain steady insulin levels which will limit fat storage and ensure a healthy metabolism.
- Low-carb and unprocessed foods will be utilized by the body as energy and help to break down proteins and fats which will help trigger the fat burning function in the body.
- High protein and high fiber foods will keep you feeling full longer and help prevent overeating.
- Lean meats
- Cruciferous vegetables
- Greek yogurt
- Nut butters
Cut Out Juice, Soda, Sports Drinks, And Limit Alcohol.
- Sugary drinks are the single largest source of calories in the American diet and over half of Americans have sugary drinks every day.
- Definitely the most relevant tip on the list for summer is avoiding any drinks that are high in sugar, calories, artificial sweeteners, and sodium.
- Sugary drinks can cause enormous insulin spikes which will offset your hormonal balance and can lead to extra fat storage. Likewise, sugary sodas and drinks can stimulate appetite and cause you to overeat even though you may not be hungry.
- Every liquid calorie is a calorie added to the day’s total. Liquid calories don’t fill you up or deliver the essential vitamins, nutrients, and fiber you get from whole foods. Drinking liquid calories doesn’t have a huge impact on what you eat that rest of the day either. Over the last 20 years, Americans have added between 150 and 300 calories to their daily diets — about half of them in liquid form.
- Alcohol is an entirely different story in itself, but from my perspective, drinking one or two nights a week will not have a dramatic impact on fat loss. Just remember, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!
Examples of what to drink
- Water with lime
- Almond Milk
- Red wine/clear liquors without a sugary mixer.
Burn Calories Outside Of The Gym.
- This one can put you over the edge in terms of reaching your body composition goals. Stay active, especially in the summer. Whether it’s a beach volleyball game, throwing the football around, or going for a walk after dinner having an active mentality and lifestyle will ensure your muscles get the work they need and your metabolism and heart rate stay mildly elevated.
- Dont settle for exercise in the gym alone. Take the stairs, park farther away from the door, and perform activities other than sitting on the couch watching TV.
- Walk your dog
- Go hiking
- Join a softball league
- Play pick-up basketball
Thanks for reading and hopefully these tips will help you achieve the summer-bod you have been working towards. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.
From South Bend,