Best Exercise To Lose Weight
I get this question all the time from people trying to shed pounds and body fat. The answer is, there is really no miracle exercise that magically removes body weight and unwanted fat. However, some exercises are better than others in terms of burning calories which will give you a more efficient fat burn as well. For instance, a barbell squat will activate more muscles and require more energy expenditure than a bicep curl.
What to look for
- Full body exercises that require the use of large muscles groups such as your quads and chest tend to burn the most calories.
- Anytime you use major muscle groups to complete an exercise your smaller/stabilizer muscles are automatically activated creating an efficient and complete full body exercise.
The Best Example I Can Think Of
Once a military specific exercise, burpees have become a widespread staple throughout the fitness community due to the fat burning potential while still being able to maintain lean muscle mass. Full body exercises such as burpees can increase your lean body mass which can help to boost your metabolism which will create a greater post workout calorie burn, also known as the “afterburn” effect. Personally, I think a burpee is a great exercise because it can help activate your fast twitch muscle fibers. The explosive squat involved in the exercise will help recruit those fast-twitch muscle fibers and force them to grow. Burpees can also increase muscle endurance if performed for an adequate duration such 1 minute intervals.
How To Do It
- Start standing straight in an athletic position
- Lower yourself in squat position with hands on the floor in front of you.
- Kick your feet back to a pushup position.
- Perform a full pushup
- Immediately return your feet to the squat position.
- Leap up as high as possible from the squat position.
Burpees With Dumbells
Burpees with medball
Studies have shown that high intensity exercises, like burpees, burn up to 50% more fat than conventional strength training exercises. They’ve also been shown to speed up your metabolism which helps you burn more calories throughout the day. The great thing about burpees is, not only are you preforming strength movements that will activate large muscles and stimulate growth, but you also tap into the endurance and conditioning aspect of traininig because of the nature of the exercsie. I was first exposed to burpees when I trained with a good friend who was attending west point and still maintain that burpees to exhaustion are one of the hardest evercises that are out there. They are also extremely versatile and can be performed in a small area and they require no weights. Like i said before, there is no miracle movement that will give you that coveted six pack. However, if there was, this would be it.
Let me know if you have any comments or questions.
From South Bend,